Yesterday evening was eventful to say the least. I rushed home from work in Vicksburg to take Raylin to the pool because we have been doing that every afternoon and to say that she LOVES it is an understatement. We went swimming and she drank lots of water. She loves to go under, but hasn't quite grasped the concept of closing her mouth before she goes under. We stay at the pool for a while and I decide to go meet some of my girlfriends to eat Mexican. They all got there at 6:00 because they were going to a movie, but since I have had numerous "girls nights out" lately, I decided to stay home and Brigg went fishing. Well after we swam, it was about 6:30 and I decided to run up to the Mexican restaurant to say Hi. When we got there, Raylin was hungry so I got a menu to order. About that time, she started throwing up continuously, which I tried to catch with my hand! I'm not sure why mother's think they can catch throw up with their hand. Before I had a child, when I saw a mother do that, I thought that is really kind of dumb. Well now that is what I do. I guess that is one of those motherly instincts that you get when you have a child. Big Mama has a great post on this! If you have time, check it out.
So anyway, Raylin is throwing up a TON of water and various other things she had eaten yesterday, but mostly water. After the vomiting episode is over (we are both soaking wet with vomit from head to toe literally), the girls start talking about dry drowning. I had heard about this several days ago, but wasn't really sure what it was. Well several of them explain about the little boy that dry drowns in his bed an hour after he has been out of the pool. Well they all assure me Raylin is fine so we leave (without eating). So as I am driving, I'm thinking about this dry drowning... Maybe I need to make sure Raylin doesn't drink so much water at the pool, maybe I can keep her from going underwater (Yeah right), or maybe we don't need to go to the pool (Yeah right again). As I turn on Old Fannin, Raylin starts choking in her car seat. She is trying to throw up and can't. We are in the far left lane of course, so I immediately jerk the car in the right lane (Motherly instinct again). I didn't even look and we hit a truck. I pull into the Back Yard Burger parking lot and jerk her out of her seat. By this time she is not even making a noise, but she is still red (Andrea asked her color so I'm throwing that in there for all you nurses). She throws up as soon as I get her out of the carseat all over the car, me, her, everything, but she is breathing. I get her out of the car and she continues to throw up water. Finally, she stops throwing up. The "nice" truck that I hit was an extremely nice man. He pulls in and sees that I am having a nervous breakdown about Raylin and asks if I need any help. I tell him we are okay. He said not to worry about his truck, it was fine, just to take care of my baby. Praise the Lord! At that minute, there is no way I could deal with cops, insurance and police reports. I'm scared to death to leave. I just couldn't put Raylin back in her carseat. What if it happened again and I couldn't get to her? So still crying uncontrollably, I call Brigg (no answer), Andrea (no answer), and my mama in Philadelphia because my mama can always make things better even if she is 90 miles away. I think now the tears are more from relief at the moment and not knowing what to do now. My mama tells me just to sit there until I think Raylin is okay or somebody can come get me. While I am talking to her, Andrea beeps in. I answer with "Where are you?" and she responds with "Where are you?" She's in Wal-mart. She obviously can tell I'm very upset so she starts driving to BYB to get me. By this time, Raylin and I have been in the BYB parking lot for 40 minutes. Andrea gets there and we get in her car and I'm praying the whole time, "please don't throw up in Ea's car and in Hank's seat." Andrea starts driving us home and realizes I'm really in no shape to go home so we go to her house (and have a delicious supper). I call my mama and she has been reading about the dry drowning on the internet (No more questions where I get that from). She read something that said if a baby is having problems with choking after swimming, that they should be checked out. So I call the afterhours clinic and they are closed of course. Andrea says she will check her out. She gets out her stethoscope and listens to her lungs and says she thinks she is okay so we decide not to go to the ER. I finally get Brigg and tell him the whole story. After he realizes we are okay, he has the nerve to ask about the car. "WHAT??? I HAVEN'T EVEN THOUGHT ABOUT THE CAR AGAIN!!! DID YOU NOT HEAR ME? RAYLIN WAS CHOKING!!!" So he decides quickly that the conversation needs to go back to me and Raylin. I really have a smart hubby that catches on quick! :) He comes to get us and we go get the car. I tell him he better not even look at it until we get home so he doesn't. He jumps right in and follows us home. I am scared to let Raylin sleep in her bed so I put her in the bed with us. That doesn't work out very long. She thinks it is playtime so I go and put her in her bed. I do not sleep at all. I have to go check on her every 30 minutes. I will continue to watch her until about 8:00 tonight, because that is how long (the internet says) dry drowning can happen after swimming. But I think she is okay.
We may never go swimming again and I don't think I'm being overprotective.
By the way, the car is fine for those of you who will probably be too scared to ask. Just a little scratch is all I could see and of course Brigg hasn't mentioned it again.

9 comments:
How SCARY....I cannot imagine. I have never heard of dry drowning, so I will definitely be reading up on that. So glad that Raylin is ok. I think she needs to sit in a float from now on when she goes swimming! :) No diving under anymore for that sweet girl!
That is so scary. I have heard a lot about dry drowning in the last couple of days. It is really quite frightening cause you don't know anything is wrong until hours later.
I am so glad ya'll weren't hurt in the fender bender. I have been worrying lately that Braelyn might choke while we are driving down the road and I won't be able to get to her. Oh, the things we worry about as mothers!
Oh my gosh Christie- I was holding my breath as I was reading that- how horrifying! I'm like you, I would have been calling my mama too; and she's in AL. I'm terrified at the thought of Caleb choking- especially in the car. I had to take him to the ER two weeks ago, he had an allergic reaction to something that bit him outside. He looked like he'd been in a fire he was so red, swollen, and covered in blisters. I really thought he was going to stop breathing on the way to the ER, but God has us covered. That little monkey was running around the waiting room like nothing was wrong! I'm so glad that everything was okay with Raylin (and the car too! :)
WOW! I can't even imagine what you must have been feeling. This dry drowning thing is causing a lot of stir and I'm thankful that you had some people there to help you out. Keep us posted!
christie...this is kimie (mere's siter) and i can so relate to your story! last week scott decided to give brooke "a big squeezy hug" in the deep end of the pool. i was RUNNING down there screaming like a maniac and brooke threw up water, etc, like raylin. my friend called me at 10:30 pm after seeing a special on dry drowning and i was up all night checking on brooke. so scary!!! i'm so glad that raylin is okay and so glad that she has a conscientious mommy who loves her so much! :) by the way, i love your blog and read it often..... :)
whhhhaaaattttttttttttttttttt????
are you kidding me? Christie - i know you must have been terrified! I've never heard of that either but i'm going to be WATCHING how much water goes in from now on! Poor little Raylin and poor mommy!
love you both! so scary!
Good Grief!!!! I'm so glad Raylin is ok! And both of you weren't hurt in the car wreck. When we saw you guys at Penn's Saturday, I didn't even ask how you were or what had been going on. I was so wrapped up in my own woe's! And they weren't quite as scary as yours!
I've talked to Mamaw & Papaw and Baker is having the time of his life! He's ridden every tractor & lawn mower at Papaw's work and he's in heaven!! He'll never want to come home!
Anyway, I'm soo glad you all are okay!
Christie,
Don't know if you remember me or not (we met at Wendi's bachelorette party). I was on Keri's blog and decided to see how you guys were. And I am SO glad I did! The blog is hysterical!
I would have totally lost it if I had been driving down the road and that happened to me and Baileigh (oh yeah...have a baby now - 5 months). How scary!
I am glad everyone is okay and Raylin is just precious!
All the best,
Shannon Rumage
holy moly! i have never heard of dry drowning??!?!?! i will have to go read that.
poor ray ray...
bless her!
and her mama!!!
and by the way - i love the swimsuit =)
Post a Comment